Start your search for a quality car insurance policy by looking at Fairer Finance’s 2019 product ratings.
Our ratings are designed to help customers make more informed decisions, but they should not be taken as recommendations or advice. Every customer has different needs, and our ratings are simply designed as a short cut to help consumers make sense of the complex world of financial products.
Our product ratings are designed to help you choose a quality insurance policy. We rate policies on the key features that are most important for the majority of customers.
We focus on core cover features, and don’t give extra marks for unnecessary bells and whistles. We also only give marks to features that are included as standard - not optional extras.
Please bear in mind we don’t rate by price and our ratings are not advice. You should do your own research to find cover that best suits your needs.
In order to achieve a 5 star rating, a car insurance policy must:
- Offer more than £500 of cover for replacing stolen and lost keys and damaged locks.
- Have a 24 hour telephone helpline.
- Provide a courtesy car while your car is being repaired.
- Cover storage charges whilst your car is at the garage waiting to be repaired.
- Offer hotel expenses should you break down in the middle of the night and need a place to stay.
- Offer more than £500 of cover for replacing audio/visual equipment that was originally in your car when it was made.
- Offer more than £500 of cover for replacing audio/visual equipment that was added to your car.
- Have a windscreen repair excess less than £15.
- Have a windscreen replacement excess less than £75.
- Cover the cost of replacing child car seats.
- Cover damage by vermin, insects, mildew or fungus.
- Offer more than £1 million of cover for legal expenses when defending a charge of death by dangerous driving.
- Provide an Uninsured Driver Promise.
- Have an amendment fee less than £30.
- Have a cancellation fee less than £55, with a pro-rata refund.
- Guarantee any repairs to your car for at least 3 years.
- Cover the cost of towing your car from an accident.
Some of the companies in our tables are brokers, which means they sell one or more insurers' policies through their own business.
Take a look in the policy document you receive to find out who the insurer is.